Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cooking up a (pudhina-omelette) storm

I have come to realise that the nicest things I whip up in my little kitchen are impulsive improvisations. This morning I made myself a phudina falvoured omelette and I am feeling quite proud about the way it tasted. It took me all of 10 minutes to put together and left me with that feeling of goodness after a nice meal. Here's how I made it. Let me know if any of you actually try it out!

What you need: (serves 1 hungry girl)
1 egg
Fresh pudhina (mint)
Half an onion, chopped
One tamato, chopped
One red chilli
Three pods of garlic
Salt and Pepper

How you make it:
The first step is to make the pudhina chutney: Lightly saute the chopped onion, tomato, chilli and garlic pods. Add in the cleaned pudhina leaves right at the end and saute that for not more than 10 seconds. You leave it any longer, it'll turn bitter. Run the mix through a blender so you have a smooth paste.

Tip: You can make the chutney and store it in your fridge for upto a week. The fresh mint tastes divine with almost anything: bread, rice, chapathi...

The second step is the omelette itself. Beat up the egg with salt and pepper. When you have a nice frothy consistency, throw in a teaspoon of the pudhina. Cook the egg in a sausepan as you would normally do to make an omelette. I like to fold in the omlet when its still runny, so the ends get stuck. This way the omelette's crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy inside.

Serve the omelette with lightly toasted bread and a cup of hot chocolate.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment